Wednesday, August 05, 2009

welcome to plan B

EDIT:

My condominium unit was featured on the popular decorating website, Apartment Therapy!

Yey!


* * * *

Have you ever met people who dislike traveling and cannot seem to go out on a whim because they are worried about who will look after their house? I have. And I NEVER, EVER want to be like them.




So, this is how I live - in a spartan, 322-sqft, no-fuss, low-maintenance, lock-and-leave condominium unit with white walls, exposed beams, and a 12-foot -high ceiling. Welcome to the bunker.



Now that the glass dividers are finally up, it's less chaotic when MSP, whose official title is "Episodic Overnight Guest and Eater of The Cereals," stays over. And when I am alone, I can section off the bedroom, crank up the air conditioner, and freeze at 16 degrees celcius in a matter of minutes.



Living gracefully in a small space can be challenging, but I try. Luxe linens and good coffee makes it much easier.

Now that I'm older, I realize that big homes aren't for me. Paring life down to the essentials results to a certain freedom unavailable to a person who lives in a bigger house but is saddled with more stuff to maintain, more corners to clean, and a bigger mortgage to pay. By living in a condo, I get access to the luxuries of a huge house - like a pool, a gym, and a garden - without the stress of maintaining them.



In this bunker, I worry less, and I live better. I am also forced to go out, jog, get a tan, read in the garden, and even stare at the pool (as I can't swim). And during rainy holidays like today, I can retreat to my books, to the internet, to my fluffy bed, or to the trashy reality shows that I so love. I can enjoy the visual silence of my white walls.




Living here also makes economic sense. It's a home that is conducive to building wealth. It also enables financing of the one luxury I cannot give up - travel. It frees up money that would otherwise go to mortgage fees, maintenance, and real estate taxes. And because this bunker is low-maintenance, it does not eat up energy that could otherwise be spent on more important things.

So, this is how I choose live. Some people call it "bare," but I call it "light."

Like any other place, this is a temporary home. But if I have to live here for a few more years - even if MSP becomes a mainstay - it should be enough.

(Until I get bored, which happens quite often.)


Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

we should do the shindig at your condo this sat, after your SEO lecture. pot luck, as usual. watyuthink?

10:45 PM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

walang problema.

8:47 AM  
Blogger aceychan said...

not bad! long curtains in a neutral color will probably look nice, too. :D

love your bed!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

acey> haha, thanks :) work in progress.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Erica is Rich said...

Nawala ko comment ko?

9:38 PM  
Blogger The Nomadic Pinoy said...

That is so true, the bigger our living space, the bigger our responsibilities to it. I often feel lazy when it comes to cleaning my own apartment but I somehow manage to tidy things up...a bit.

1:23 AM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

ekay> what comment?

nomadic pinoy> hello! thanks for dropping by. about cleaning small spaces - yeah, it takes just a few minutes! and if you can't do it, there's always the cleaning lady.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Haven't been to AT for a while. ~supercow

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

read the comments over AT. I used an adhesive frosting for my sliding window. Bought it from Ace Hardware. Didn't notice there were bird prints. Now it looks like a bathroom door. lol. But I think may plain, di ko lang siguro napansin.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

supercow> i still haven't decided what to use. i'm too afraid to try anything.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous jerm said...

i was stuck in an apartment - kinda your size, not so much your kickass aesthetics - and i hated it. now living in bali in a house probably 5x as large and i realize i miss that "light" living. rent is up this august though, i shall hunt for a smaller space.

thanks for the reminder! :)

7:26 AM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

jerm - i just noticed your comment now --- one year later :) we own this place, so we don't worry about rent going up. you live in bali, right? i can just imagine what your rent must be like!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

jerm - i just noticed your comment now --- one year later :) we own this place, so we don't worry about rent going up. you live in bali, right? i can just imagine what your rent must be like!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

jerm - i just noticed your comment now --- one year later :) we own this place, so we don't worry about rent going up. you live in bali, right? i can just imagine what your rent must be like!

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home