Sunday, December 21, 2008

spoiled girlfriend

Chivalry is dead, but bribery isn't.

My boyfriend MSP knows that, so he occasionally buys my love.
Despite having a gargantuan alpha-female ego, I still let him. Why? Because men NEED to provide. It makes them feel more masculine.

Being a Catholic schoolboy, MSP has been trained by priests to think that part of being a gentleman is allocating a portion of his funds for miscellaneous "investments," such as surprising the woman of his life with little gifts. It's kind of twisted (
shouldn't schools discourage materialism?) BUT because I'm too cheap to get anything for myself this Christmas, I don't overanalyze. I just appreciate.

Found this on my bed:




It's deerskin, cacao, and really lovely. Like everything else from Miuccia Prada's boudoir, it's the kind that lasts a lifetime.

Thank you, recession-proof boyfriend, for this very nice surprise.

* * * *

We humans make sense of our lives with things we can buy from stores. It's a bad habit, especially if you shop in Landmark.

I'm kidding.

(I love dirt-cheap malls, but I hate the crowd. I tend to go very early to avoid other bargain hunters who walk slow and drag their screaming kids along.)

Anyway.

I decided not to buy anything major for myself this Christmas not only because of the recession, but also because the Gucci and Marc Jacobs shop floors were getting boring.

So I worked while the rest of the world went shopping for the holidays. Aside from a few mid-priced trousers (which I badly need), I didn't buy anything expensive for myself at all.

Don't get me wrong; I tried. In fact, I walked around Rustan's Makati's "Gallerie" last week, where I was shown dresses from Vera Wang, Alexander McQueen, Pucci, etc. It was disappointing. The place would have been FANTASTIC to me three years ago, but now that I am more mature,
it just feels contrived.

Still, it was fun watching people BUY stuff for the sake of having things, without regard for quality or uniqueness. Many women there looked
empty, like they needed to spend P100,000 on a dress to feel better. Most of the pieces didn't really flatter their figures. (They would later look at themselves under fluorescent lighting, feel fat, and buy again. Ah, the joy of retail.)

Can you tell? I don't like shopping anymore. There is more to life. But I still like getting gifts. And I still treasure the nice, luxurious things I already have.

If this contradiction persists, I would soon become a materialist-spiritualist hybrid.

A hobo who eats caviar.
A hippie who wears Prada.

Sounds like a good plan.

13 Comments:

Blogger x said...

you lucky girl! :) your msp must really be smitten. hehe.

the materialist-spiritualist hybrid bit reminds me of the rich nuns in school. hehe. but you're way more fabulous than them, though. they don't have sweet msps or wear prada. hehe.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Kodak Picturezzz said...

Wow.

(Hey I don't know anything about girly things, but with how you wrote it, my best guess is that your man did one hell of a job. :))

8:23 AM  
Blogger - litol figgy - said...

Because men NEED to provide.

- amen. :)

11:57 AM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

acey> i remember those nuns and their european cars haha:)

retro> MSP used to speak only Klingon until I taught him several other languages, like Prada.

litol figgy> and so we should let them :)

8:43 AM  
Blogger - litol figgy - said...

hey mussolini! you used to be in one of my jurassic blog's blogroll. i'm adding you up to my new home's list if that's alright. :)

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah, that's such a load. We don't "need to provide" any more than girls "needs to be provided for".

There's a difference between needing something and wanting something.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

anon> men who don't feel the need to provide are either not real men, are poor, or are miserly. women who don't need to feel pampered by a man who provides - even just once in a while - are in denial.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good day fellas. I'm really into shoes and I was searching for that particular model. The prices for the boots were around 350 bucks on every site. But definitively I base this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I really like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy them. what can you tell me about these?

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good afternoon friends. I'm actually into shoes and I have been digging as far as something that particular model. The prices seeking the boots are approximately 330 bucks everwhere. But completely I bring about this location selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy those. what do you think?

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good evening friends. I'm actually into shoes and I have been looking for the sake of that singular make. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers are around 240 dollars on every page. But definitively I base this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order these. what can you tell me about these?

12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good afternoon fellas. I'm honestly into shoes and I was looking for the sake of that exact make. The prices seeking the shoes are approximately 320 dollars on every site. But for all I base this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy them. what can you tell me about these?

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good morning everyone. I'm really into shoes and I had been searching for that exact make. The prices seeking the velcros were about 230 dollars on every page. But finally I set this site selling them for half price. I absolutely want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase these. what do you think?

4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home