Monday, September 07, 2009

social studies

A few months ago, I noticed that my social circle needed diversification. I seem to be friends only with people of my level of intelligence, which is above-average. I mean:

a. My closest barkadas are people I went to UP with;
b. My best friend is a cum laude of Ateneo;
c. My former colleagues from the government - who I still see regularly - are all from the best schools, too; and
d. The high school friends I bother to still hangout with are all successful professionals making good money.

Obviously, I needed to expand my horizons and meet people I would never even talk to during my snobbier days. You know the type – people who are not really jologs, but are not quite...shall we say, “at par.” These are people who have good jobs and pay their mortgage and do things similar to things “we” do, except without the delicate balance of panache and Marxism. Perhaps they studied in diploma mills, still have non-management jobs at 30, and seem to relish in their average-ness. Those people.

Of course, these things never work out.

We have nothing in common. Conversations are dull. I just nod politely and try to SIMPLIFY my ideas for their digestion. I find myself PRETENDING TO BE AVERAGE just to level with them. They can't relate to the concepts of “world travel” or “Philippe Starck.” And when they ask me about my interests and I say I like the “coffee in Hanoi” and “the original 1920's Barcelona chair I saw in Spain,” they look at me as though I am making it up – as though no one can really have THAT kind of taste.

Exhausting!

The (sad) thing is, despite our VERY obvious differences, they still want to be my friend. Some of these people are actually incorporated BY DEFAULT into my life (no thanks to the six degrees of separation). Some are my cousins. Some are MSP's relatives. Some are friends of friends.

How do I say this without hurting their feelings?

You don't travel and have bad taste, so I can't be your friend.

That's my new rule now. I am getting too old too fast to waste time talking to people without any sophistication. So please, go away.


Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*thumbs up* as how i aptly put, "just because you aren't, doesn't mean there isn't." *bow* xoxo -your friendly blog neighbor

5:45 PM  
Blogger The Nomadic Pinoy said...

The reason I usually travel alone is that majority of my friends either don't have the time or they're simply not into the kind of trips I do.

8:06 PM  
Blogger bismuth said...

wahahahaha! you have enough friends to last a lifetime of conversations over which brew tastes more immaculate or which armchair epitomizes most functional art or moderne living. those stuff we just toss around like we toss salads heightened with overpriced european cheeses. or thick insults at crazy pedestrians. it's not snobbery- it's unloading life and living light and easy without the clutter of the unnecessary.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

nomadic> but i think you're cool, traveling alone. even when i travel with people, i usually get a day or at least an afternoon alone to soak in everything by myself. i was lucky to have found a special someone to travel with (hopefully for life) and a group of friends i wouldn't mind being stuck in an airport with. but if i have to go alone, i will :)

bismuth> thank you for putting it that way. i feel less of a priss now.

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretending to be average just to level with "them". God you're full of shit !

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ay may pisanteng na-offend!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

let them eat cake LOL

12:04 PM  
Anonymous barrycade said...

you full of shit?!? the last time i checked, you can't even shit as often as you should, yes?

that's precious shit because it's rare. so instead of feeding them cake, let them eat your shit. :P

and for people who can't get your drift, GAL as in Get A Life, jologs. :)

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home