Monday, May 01, 2006

i must be god

I didn’t think I would ever be exhausted. After all, I am the Mussolini. So when I woke up this morning feeling very tired from pretending to sleep when I was really working (in my head, crunching numbers), I realized that I need a break. And that I could not have one.

I haven’t stopped working for *counts with fingers* five years. Unlike most kids who took time out to find out what they want to do in life, I went straight to ‘part-time’ teaching right after school. I wanted to make more money so ‘part-time’ really meant working longer hours than other professors do.

I saved up as much as I can and then jumped right in the hoopla that is the corporate world. Got a very demanding job making the government look good. Worked longer hours again (for no apparent reason, since I was on a fixed salary). Made newsletters. Made speeches. Made lawyers cry. Made money. Moved on.

Did I get a break after leaving the government and swearing off employee-hood? No. I went straight into building the business, one client at a time. I set up a home office. Marketed the business. Met a client. Then another client. And another. Started making money. Decided to expand. Started spending money. Started hiring people.

My days are now longer than they have ever been. I work 16 hours. If I add up all the hours I’ve been working (since birth), the total would be longer than the Vietnam War. The only decent ‘break’ I get is when I am having dinner with friends. When I catch rerun of Seinfeld. Maybe when I’m reading an issue of the Entrepreneur.

If I ever get two weeks off, I want to fly to Malaysia and just walk around, get lost, eat street food, urinate in their ultra clean public restrooms, find my way back into the hotel, call my boyfriend about how my day went, watch Malaysian TV shows I do not understand, and then sleep. Then do the same thing over the next day.

8 Comments:

Blogger :..M..: said...

You know..I envy you. You've got a killer drive! And I never tire reading your posts.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you deserve a get away to a private island and enjoy the summer!

9:22 AM  
Blogger paningit said...

you are not god. god does not urinate. ever.

what he does is take long, uninterrupted crap breaks. he shits his heart out. and when he's done with that, he'll fart and shit some more.

in that case, i am god. because i fart and shit and fart.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

i think that the french have it right.

'work to live but do not live to work'

12:37 AM  
Blogger bismuth said...

you'll love mahathir's country and its wide roads and cunning city landscaping that hid the lowcost housing. go there when there's an F1 event. all the fast cars and ferrari. and shop for hermes in klcc.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Jacs said...

Word is all I could say.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

m> i just fear, therefore i do.

jey> i wish i could just leave everything behind....

a-hole> *genuflects*

cj> there's not much more to my life except work :(

bismuth> i know i will

jacs> tired is all i can say

10:40 PM  
Blogger Perfect Virgo said...

I like the way you describe your life in the fast-lane. Even the words are delivered at breakneck speed. As you know I finally jumped off the merry-go-round after 30 years. I can tell you relaxation sure has its benefits!

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home