Saturday, December 26, 2009

dear bestfriend

Hi Bestfriend,

Thank you for sending me pictures of your Christmas in Canada! The kids are growing up fast! And I love your home - it looks very warm and inviting, to think it's in the city. I can almost smell your gingerbread cake :)

You asked me how Christmas is here in the building. It was - eh - normal. Like a regular day. I already emailed you the pictures of the Christmas tree in the garden and the lobby. That's enough Christmas decorating for me.

Now I want to show you some "new" things in the unit. The last images you saw were probably still from the Apartment Therapy feature, but a lot has changed since. Books have piled up. Mementos from all the traveling are slowly creeping into the space. I shall purge soon, but for now, I thought I would show you the mess.



1. I finally framed the poster that made me change the way I see Manila. I thought it would put the unit into context. The more I travel, the more I appreciate home. The santo is an antique from the family - the one that "escaped" the fire. I think I told you the story. The books are all Lonely Planet "Encounter" guides, which I collect. Kulang pa - hindi pa ako nakakabili for some of the other cities I've visited.



2. Underneath is the mess I haven't sorted out. Old books, my travel bag, magazines I haven't read, a nice bottle of wine waiting to be opened, etc. You can also see the SkyCable Digibox, which is useful for a person who switches channels as much as I do.



3. There's finally a temporary workspace/fold-out desk. It's installed in the formerly useless small foyer. The IKEA thing never came (they ran out of stock) so this was the next best thing. It's functional. Eyelove.

The Gucci chair which I wrote about here is nomadic. It becomes a side table, a chair for watching TV, a working chair, a chair to eat in, etc. It's heavy, so exercise na rin when moving it around.

MSP and I framed all the maps of the cities that were memorable to us - even those we didn't love, pero memorable pa rin. You can see right away that Paris is the messiest!




4. Thank you for the wine cork you gave me last year. I still use it. This wine was gifted to me and of course I couldn't finish it in one sitting. The cork keeps it just a bit fresher.



As you can see, I didn't decorate for Christmas. The building people went overboard decorating the common areas anyway, and walking through them daily is enough for me.

So - I'll talk to you tomorrow. Yahoo or Skype. I hope my camera works.


XOXO,
Mussolini


Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree! paris is a very confusing roundabout city. nice pad, btw. just leave the mess. it keeps your place from looking like a catalog. it also shows that you are genuinely well-traveled and cultured.

5:16 PM  
Blogger ennui said...

i wish my bestfriend would write me a heartfelt letter (with photos) like this :)

10:39 PM  
Blogger bismuth said...

me too.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

ennui and bismuth > awww. i'll write you guys. hahahahaha

10:37 AM  
Blogger aceychan said...

lol, i love your taste in decorating! nice post/letter, too. :D

happy new year!!!

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home