Saturday, February 27, 2010

stuck in the new middle

There's something nice about setting up a home at just the right distance from the craziness of the city center. You're just 5 to 10 minutes away from the essentials - the office, the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, church, a decent sushi place, the train station, THE GAP, etc. That was part of the charm of this little white box almost two years ago, when I moved in full time. It was near enough not to be boring, and far enough to still be quiet. You know - off grid, on radar.

Now, my little part of the metro is turning into a monster.

1. Foreigners are creeping in.

Fortunately, they're not the Noisy Korean types who infest my friend Illyria's bulding. My new neighbors are a different breed. I call them
Chatty European types who live here because their money would go farther in the tropics than anywhere in the EU. They say "good morning" and "hello there" in German/French/British accents. They sunbathe by the pool wearing clothes that reveal more than they should. They actually use the gym and hang out in the garden. They are very... European.

(That sounded racist. However, if you knew me in real life, then you would know that I'm part European. Therefore, that just sounded self-deprecating and honest.)

2. Progress is assaulting this part of town.

I didn't realize just how noisy and congested the road to progress would be.

3. Property values are ballooning.

All the "progress" is doubling the price of the units here faster than you can say bourgeoisie
.

****

Why I'm even complaining, I don't know. It's weird; I always knew this place would eventually be developed, and was even proud of the fact that I got first dibs while it was still cheap.

Resistance to change - maybe it's human nature?

How very Parisian.


Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger {illyria} said...

the influx of koreans in the building, i believe, stems from word-of-mouth. friends of friends of friends recommend it as lodging because they've lived there, and the cycle goes on and on.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

wala kasi silang paglagyan dun sa bansa nila.

10:45 AM  
Blogger ennui said...

well, i'm sure the lord put them here for a reason ;D

12:03 AM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

ennui - HE has a sense of humor.

11:54 AM  
Blogger ennui said...

well, we laugh don't we? :D

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home