Friday, February 19, 2010

whino (noun: a type of drunk, usually a hobo, who has a preference for cheap wines over the vodkas and whiskeys)

French wines are on sale over at Sommellier Selection, and if you know me, you know that I love 'em reds and whites from Alsace to Loire Valey and beyond. At 30% to 50% off, these wines are bargains! I got seven bottles, and I plan to come back for more before the sale season ends.









I have no place to put them, so they're staying in their boxes for now.



Been trying out fish tapanade recipes for the whites, and the reds are paired with leftover meat and vegetables (with spinach and artichoke sauce). MSP was here yesterday; he's not big on subtle wines like me, though, and prefers the stronger Spanish vino de Jerez. He thinks French wines - and Parisian men - are sissy.

I also stocked up on some cheese. Yesterday, I made omelette with blue cheese for dinner, and then paired it with the light and clean Domaine de la Plante D'Or. Heaven.

* * * *

I'm no wine expert (obviously), but I do appreciate a good bottle paired with the right food. Unlike more sophisticated whinos, I don't really read up on enology - I buy what I like instead of what gets the best reviews. To me, the only requisite to a great wine tasting session is a clear wine glass (NEVER colored, because then you don't see the wine's clarity and other characteristics).

Experts say that serious whinos should at least have Riedel wine glasses, but I don't know that I am ready for them. They are pricey - one serious wine glass costs P5,000+ - and on top of that, they are hard to find locally. What if I break them in a moment of tipsiness? I'll stick to my cheap mall-variety wine glasses, thankyouverymuch.

****

What I really need are more wine recorkers with vacuum. I only have one (gifted to me by MSP's sister) and it works.




Sommelliers would probably scream at me for even recorking wine, but I have to - I don't finish a bottle in one sitting, as I usually only have ONE glass (two, at most) with dinner. Sometimes, a bottle stays in my refrigerator for a week. A recorker with pump seals the bottle and removes the oxygen, which deteriorates the bouquet.


I also dream of a wine glass necklace, which my Australian whino friend Julie says is a must for wine tasters. She says she would buy me one, but I'm not counting on it. I have never seen these ultra-geeky wine accessories locally. If you know where I can get them, please tell me.

****

Those who want to get French wines on huge discounts should pop by the Sommellier Selection warehouse in Makati. They're quite friendly. They can advise you on what wines to get depending on your preference. Bring around P5,000 and you can already get seven bottles or so.

Sheeersh! Hick!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger bismuth said...

or i should just drop by your condo, fellow whino (in denial ka pa!)

7:20 PM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

sige lang, daan ka. text me when / what time. bring cheese.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've never seen you guys drunk. gusto ko makita kayong lasing! :D

-sassy

1:58 AM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

sassy> i don't get intoxicated, unfortunately. YOU would make an interesting drunk, though. hahahaha! fierce!

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bacchus Epicerie in Powerplant Mall sell Riedel wine glasses. Not all glasses cost 5k. They have glasses that are around 700-Php1,900 depends on the series :-)

10:51 PM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

anon - thanks! i will definitely drop by!

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they also sell pates and like :) it's a gourmet food paradise.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home