Sunday, February 21, 2010

to hang or not to hang

It sounds a little pretentious, but it's true.

One of the profoundest moments of my life was when I saw a Kandinsky painting in the flesh.

This happened in my favorite city -
Madrid - in the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, to be exact. The collection included the following:



Painting with Three Spots 1914
Oil on canvas 1210 x 1110 mm



Murnau: Houses on the Obermarkt, 1908
Oil on board, 64.5 x 50.2 cm



In the Bright Oval, 1925
Oil on board 73 x 59 cm


Delicate Tension, 1923
Watercolour and Indian ink on paper


I nearly cried at the sight of the last painting. I don't know why.

Perhaps it was because I've been holding on to a Taschen book on Kandinsky far too long, dreaming of the day I would see the real deal. Maybe it was Wassily's logical, non-representational forms - the ultimate representation of the semi-reticent, semi-expressive life I (think) I lead. Maybe it just reminded me of the 1993 film Six Degrees of Separation, the first artsy movie I ever watched, in which Kandinsky's art was integral. I don't know why I stood there in front of his art frozen, almost in tears but not quite.

So anyway, I own a print of Delicate Tension, and I am thinking of finding a wall for it. The thing is, I'm not quite sure if I should frame and display this piece of paper; after all, in this age of cheesy "Keep Calm and Carry On" posters in almost every pretend-chic space, hanging a print seems forced and too catalog-y. On the other hand, the print DOES mean a lot to me, so why shouldn't I enjoy it, right?

Perhaps it will find its place on the back of my bathroom's door. I shall look at it while I poop. Delicate tension, indeed.


****

Thanks to House of Onika for a nice little feature on the condo :) They called the shoebox "innovative, svelte, and refreshing." Wow. My space sounds more attractive than me.

Read Ingrid's Prada-esque home here.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger bismuth said...

it's your wall. your space. remember? that's why we like having our own space- we can do whatever with it. did you also see Der Blaue Reiter, kim's favorite?

11:56 AM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

di kaya the moisture in the toilet ruins it?

i have to find another spot.

10:23 AM  
Blogger bismuth said...

just not above your headboard. earthquake....

7:06 PM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

i know. there's nothing there.

3:56 PM  
Blogger ennui said...

don't put them in your toilet because that'll condition your visitors to remember crap when they see your paintings :D

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home