Sunday, August 01, 2010

downsizing a life (another audit)

The 78-year-old parents of the former editor of Domino Magazine have decided to prepare for their death by downsizing from a typical suburban home into a small apartment in New York City.





Read the story here.

A bigger home - while great for raising kids - tends to be a magnet for things you realize you don't really need. It took them 78 years to figure this out. (Having kids really does make like much more complicated).

Thank heavens I intend to be child-free. That gives me the freedom NOT to upsize.

* * * *

This got me thinking. Will all the "valuable" things I own fit into one big box?

By "valuable," I mean things I can no longer replace because (a) they're not available anymore (b) they were given to me by very special people, or (c) they're really of superb quality.

Everything else - although necessary, like the French Press I use to make coffee or my beloved bed - can be bought from a store anytime, making them less valuable.

Ayt. Let's do an audit:





Valuable clothes/shoes/bags:
  • Valentino coat (in classic red - designed before Valentino retired)
  • Chanel dress (little black dress)
  • Cashmere Ralph Lauren sweater in cream (good-ply cashmere is always valuable)
  • Cashmere and silk blend MiuMiu cardigan in dark blue (great for travel)
  • Gucci heels (3-inch high)
  • Prada driving loafers
  • Pucci hand-painted flats
  • Kate Spade pink suede flats
  • Balenciaga heels in gray and black (bought memorably in Madrid)
  • Prada turchese bag
  • Dior doctor's bag (part of luggage, now vintage)
  • Fendi handbag
  • Ferragamo clutch
  • Hermes fourre tout bag (for grocery shopping)
  • Gucci abbey bag (folds small)
  • Prada powder blue mini messenger bag for holding passports and money during travel
  • Fino travel bag with all the stickers of places I've been to (irreplaceable because of sentimental value)

Valuable jewelry:
  • Tiffany celebration ring (someone loved me enough to give me this - it's the price of a car!)
  • Inherited coins (to remind me of my heritage)
  • Inherited jewelry (I want to reset them someday, make them more current)
  • Pendant from Granada, Spain (gifted to me)

Etc:
  • My mom's one and only artwork (for obvious reasons)
  • DVDs (mostly indie films that are no longer available)
  • Travel books (they have my handwritten travel notes)

So technically, if I fold the bags strategically, I can fit everything valuable into one big box. It will be a heavy box, but it will be just ONE box.

That's always nice to know.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous M.F. said...

Have you heard of the "living with only 100 things" trend? People downsize their personal belongings to just 100 items. Pretty cool. Google it.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous ace said...

lol. i wanna do this, too! and the 100 things thing while i'm young. i don't wanna be 80 and still be figuring stuff out.

PS: i love how you don't have a louis vuitton in your big box. lol. you're fabulous! i think i wanna be like you. haha.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

M.F. - yes. i am a follower :) i am downsizing to just 100 things and i'm just a few things shy of 100 :)

10:27 AM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

acey - start editing young

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home