Saturday, July 22, 2006

older than i was

In celebration of our fifth anniversary, MSP and I set out to do something very adult – we ate in an authentic Italian restaurant and had rare cheeses and wine.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This is actually the second leg of our three-month-long celebration. In the first month we also tried to be adults by eating foie gras. Nothing special, I tell you. I’m glad some states have banned it.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

At $50 a pop (at least), the foie gras is simply a status symbol. It tastes like cardboard paper but it’s certainly fashionable to “like” it. Puke.


SPLURGING

We’ve been spending a lot in the last week. At least MSP’s purchases were sensible – even profitable. He got a new kickass laptop for work, plus a swiss knife.

Meanwhile I harassed him into buying me a new collectible Dior bag. I made him feel so guilty about buying something he needed anyway and he ended up paying for my latest conquest.

I still feel guilty about having expensive things. I know that it makes sense for me to “invest” in key accessories like bags, shoes, and watches which I will use for a lifetime, but once I realize that some of them are worth more than what most people earn, I feel awkward.

And then I see Paris Hilton, and I realize I’m just a hardworking girl and I deserve my designer shit.

7 Comments:

Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

viva la france. viva le cuisine BUT BUT BUT....
no to foie gras. it is disgusting and unecessary

9:07 PM  
Blogger bismuth said...

to recap yesterday's conversation over turkey salad and tea,each person has her own splurge obsession.

3:37 PM  
Blogger paningit said...

foie gras... how do you say that?

goose liver.

the only two "gras" i like are mardi-"gras" and the ones i roll in cute little white paper to smoke.

12:32 PM  
Blogger PATRICIA said...

wow a dior! for free! you have a great life.:)

6:16 PM  
Blogger ennui said...

does it always have to be an "investment" when we splurge on something? besides, you're too young (and too rich!) to invest. hehe

2:00 AM  
Blogger paningit said...

i agree with ennui dude here. i always splurge on burgers, but i never call them investments.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

cj> two words: force feeding

bismuth> and yours is?

a-hole> burgers are certainly investments if they make you happy :) you appreciate in value when you're happy

the femme> if you call a life of constant worrying great, then i do have a great life.

ennui> have i not always done everything fast?

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home