Tuesday, September 09, 2008

flying high

Whenever I get the chance, I try to fly PAL Mabuhay/Business/First Class. I have no problems flying coach, but whenever practical (i.e., when my air fare is a tax-deductible company expense), I immediately sign up for the best seats. Some people say that flying first class is a total waste of money, but to me it's not, considering the many extras you get.

For example, you get to stay in the lounge. For someone who is constantly working like me and MSP, free food + free internet while waiting for a flight is a VERY big deal. In our last overseas travel, we were able to email, check our portfolios, and even Google pictures of "Imee Marcos" to find out if she was indeed the woman sitting in the lounge with us.


My trusty traveling laptop, an Asus EEE.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
That's me working/eating early in the lounge.

Airplane food is also way superior in the Mabuhay Class, of course. For breakfast we were served fresh fruit platter, bircher muesli dairy bowl, bread bowl (choice of peach danish or fruit loaf), and main dishes of pork tenderloin with onion rings or grilled milkfish adobo. The best part is, they don't give everything to you all at once. Food is served in courses and on real (not plastic) plates, the way it should be.








PAL's Mabuhay Class is not as spacious as the configuration of other airlines, but it is decent. At least I don't have to stare at some random guy's bald spot throughout the duration of the trip.




Cathay Pacific does it much better:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


And so does Singapore Airlines.

Still, I'm not complaining. PAL's service has so far been great, at least in my experience. I have heard of horror stories, but this won't stop MSP and me from taking another PAL flight in our upcoming trip to Beijing. Our visas are now being processed. Who knew that the Chinese embassy required everything from bank statements to NBI clearnaces to income tax returns? I didn't think it would be this hard. I hope everything goes as planned and we finally get our visas.

4 Comments:

Blogger ennui said...

I'm sure you'll get your visae in no time, as I'm sure you, you, and you, the both of you, would be the youngest business travelers in the Mabuhay lounge.

1:40 AM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

now that you mentioned it, yeah...we were the youngest in the lounge the last time we traveled (except for a kid who was with her mom). and even in the hotel's executive floor, we were the youngest. we even overheard a woman say "dot com kids" while looking at us. everyone was dressed really well, and we were in sneakers. it was truly embarrassing LOL

5:05 PM  
Blogger ennui said...

"dot com kids"


that's pretty discriminatory. you should've whispered loudly to msp ...


"obviously, her ticket is company-sponsored."

hehehe

1:20 AM  
Blogger Ingrid C. said...

ennui> she was wearing escada. how do i argue? hahahaha

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home