Monday, September 01, 2008

walking tall(er)

Sunday was very strange. I spent the whole morning walking around my pad in my never-before-worn 3-inch Gucci wedges, all in an attempt to reintroduce my calves to high heels (after many months of wearing only flats). I walked in ‘em Guccis while making my coffee, eating toasts, changing my sheets, dusting my closet, and watching the first season of 30 Rock.



Then at around 1 pm, I got a text message from a friend who was apparently more bored than I was. He was proposing coffee and dinner.

I thought to myself, “Well, I could stay in and wait until I develop hammertoes, bunions, and degenerative changes in my knee joints, or I can spend the afternoon chatting with friends about failed Marxism.”

The Guccis came flying off my feet. I was with this friend and this friend two hours later, enjoying coffee and cakes – in the rain :) It was a happy kind of pointlessness.

Good friends make you walk taller like no $900-shoes can.

2 Comments:

Blogger bismuth said...

awwwww. true friends really make you walk taller, in so many ways. they bring you back to reality without diminishing your dreams. they remind you that you are a far greater person than you lead yourself to believe. they make you walk taller because they look out for you- making sure you don't lose your integrity.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's the irony of our friendship: we ground one another from self-delusion, and we help, in many inexplicable ways, one another to soar in our own chosen worlds.

and in between, we laugh hard--the "happy kind of pointlessness."

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home